Life Skills and Their Relationship to the Adolescent Children`S Values
Wafaa Mohammed Khalil
Life skills develop knowledge and gain the necessary skills that help to practice life and play different roles successfully
Hence, the idea of the current research to find out the nature of the relationship between the skills of life as perceived by children in adolescence and their relation to their value structure.
Key words : Life skills, , Value system,, Adolescence
This research follows the analytical descriptive approach, which is based on the data and fact collection, formatting, processing and analyzing them to reach and draw conclusions about this phenomenon or subject.
1- Sample of the survey research: The sample of the survey study consisted of 40 students in the first and second secondary grades in the administration of the waily education in Cairo Governorate in order to standardize the study tools.
2. The basic research sample: It consisted of (140) students of the first and second secondary grades from 4 licensed educational centers. The sample was selected in a purposeful manner from different socio-economic levels of Cairo Governorate.
The research tools were prepared as follow:
1- General data form.
2- Life skills scale for children in adolescence. include three dimensions: personal skills , social skills , technology use skills
3- The measurement of the adolescents value system .This form of measurement aim at identifying moral values, social values, The theoretical values, economic values, political values, and aesthetic values
Results and discussed them:
* 60% of the sample members are female.
* 38.6% of the studied sample from experimental schools.
* Approximately half of the members of the research sample belong to the families of a father and a mother with a high education. The percentage of university education for the father reached 45% and 42.8% for the mothers.
* 65% of the mothers of the research sample workers.
* 41.4% of the research sample belong to households with high income (more than 5000 pounds).
· The item of the personal skills axis (attention to personal appearance) is the most important items by (28.3%).
· The item of the social skills axis(communication skills) is the most important item (27.9%).
· The item of the technology usage skills (skills of using technology in social communication)is the most important item (22.9%).
· The (technological skills) of the life skills scale is the most important item (36.1%).
· The axis (aesthetic values) of the value system axes is the most important items (20.4%).
· There are statistically significant differences (0.01 )among the research sample in the life skills according to the gender (for the benefit of males),. (0.01)the type of school (in favor of the language schools.), to father`s educational level and mother`s educational level, mother’s work,( in favor of working mothers).and the average monthly income of the family (in favor of high income).
· There are statistically significance differences at (0.01) among the research sample in the value system scale according to gender (for the benefit of females), type of school( in favor of the language schools), the level of parental education (for the benefit of parents with a university degree or master and doctorate.), mother work,( in favor of the working mothers),and the average monthly income of the family( in favor of high income).
There is a positive correlation between axis of life skills scale of the children of the research sample and the value system scale axes at level of significance between (0.05) and (0.01).
The relative importance of the studied independent variables that the most influential variables in the life skills of children are respectively (father education, school type, mother education, mother's work)
The most influential variables in the composition of the children's value structure are respectively (mother education, father education, mother's work, and monthly income of the family)
Key words : Life skills ,Value system,Adolescence.